Are you keen to get on board?
If you are looking for more than just a 9-5 job, deepsea fishing with Talley’s offers great challenges and rewards. You’ll earn great money and receive up to four months' leave per year when you join our hard-working deepsea fishing crew. And right now, we’re looking for a chief marine engineer for our deepsea trawlers.
It’s part job, part journey!
Talley’s is proudly New Zealand owned and operated. We run eight deepsea fishing vessels with primarily Kiwi crews bringing the best New Zealand seafood to the world. Right now, we’re looking for experienced crew members who are interested in a career in deepsea fishing with Talley's.
You’ll earn great money on board our fleet of modern vessels, all with comfortable cabins, usually with an ènsuite. Most of our fleet also has an onboard gym, WIFI, and plenty of space to relax in your downtime.
And you don’t spend much on living when you’re out at sea. As well as an excellent opportunity to save, we provide ongoing specialized training opportunities that set you up with skills and qualifications that will set you up for life and take you anywhere in the world.
We are seeking a chief engineer to come aboard one of our deepsea trawlers.
The successful applicant must hold a minimum of a MEC4, and having held previous experience in a chief's position on a fishing vessel would be beneficial.
The chief engineer is responsible for ensuring the mechanical and electrical performance of the vessel. This includes the propulsion, fishing, processing, and ancillary systems operating in a safe, efficient, and cost-effective manner.
The role involves:
- Senior management position aboard the ship.
- Reporting to the captain, marine engineering manager, and senior management ashore.
- Managing a team of up to five engineers on board.
- Ensuring compliance with H&S systems.
- Liaising with the marine superintendent, ensuring they're fully informed of any issues.
- Ensuring all vessel machinery and equipment are maintained in safe working order.
- Working to achieve optimum performance from the engine room always.
- Ensuring accurate logs are kept for all critical systems and processes.
- Proactively manage and complete preventative management systems.
- Maintaining an adequate inventory of spares, tools, and stores, and ordering parts as required.
- Supervision and control of bunkering of fuel and oil.
- Ensuring all engineering functions are undertaken in compliance with OSH, MNZ, Lloyds Register, and MPI requirements.
Talley’s is committed to health & safety in all our workplaces and all our vessels are drug-free. We carry out pre-employment and routine random drug testing for all our employees. We’ll also put you through a pre-employment medical check with our company doctor to ensure you are fit for sea.